Annulment in the Philippines: Questions and Answers (Part 6)

We have time to address some questions relating to annulment in the Philippines. Let’s consolidate the questions that are newly raised for easy reference. We shall update this post to include new issues we encounter (again, please search through the other posts or the comments to check if a question related to yours was already addressed). As always, please remember that nothing should here should be taken as legal advice (for clients, please click here).

If I file a petition for legal separation, can I use my own sexual infidelity as a ground?

It is interesting to note that among the grounds for legal separation, as listed above, only “sexual infidelity or perversion” is not qualified by the phrase “of the respondent” or “by respondent”. This may give the impression that the sexual infidelity of the petitioner, or the one who filed the petition, may be used as a ground in legal separation. We must consider, however, that legal separation is filed by the innocent spouse or the “aggrieved party” against the guilty spouse.