What is the scope of application of this rule?
The applicability of this rule may refer to: (a) the courts where the rule will apply; (b) the kinds of cases or proceedings where the rule will apply; (c) the stage of the proceeding.
Type of cases
This Rule shall apply to all actions, proceedings, and incidents requiring the reception of evidence. However, the Rule shall not apply to small claims cases under A.M. 08-8-7-SC.
The Rule may apply to criminal cases in three situations, as follows: (1) The maximum of the imposable penalty does not exceed six years; (2) regardless of the penalty involved, with respect to the civil aspect of the actions, or where the accused agrees to the use of the Rule.
Courts where the Rule are applicable
1. The Metropolitan Trial Courts, the Municipal Trial Courts in Cities, the Municipal Trial Courts, the Municipal Circuit Trial Courts.
2. Shari’a Circuit Courts, Shari’a District Courts and the Shari’a Appellate Courts.
3. Regional Trial Courts.
5. Court of Tax Appeals.
6. Court of Appeals.
7. Investigating officers and bodies authorized by the Supreme Court to receive evidence, including the Integrated Bar of the Philippine (IBP).
8. Special courts and quasi-judicial bodies, whose rules of procedure are subject to disapproval of the Supreme Court, insofar as their existing rules of procedure contravene the provisions of this Rule.
Also read and discuss the following:
3. Scope of Application of the Judicial Affidavit Rule